This week I’m giving some major face time to a vegetable that’s most known for sitting it out in the sidelines. In the band, but never the star of the show. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. If you haven’t guessed (as if the name doesn’t give it away), I am referring to carrots! We always have carrots in our house. I like to toss them into my mixed green salads, chop them up for dipping, or even throw them into my egg casseroles and soups. This time, though, I made them their very own side dish.
As simple as it seems, I have tried many times to perfect glazed carrots and they never seemed to come out how I wanted. They were either too dry, too greasy, or too tough despite cooking for 30+ minutes. After some experimenting, I finally have the right combination of sweetness, not too greasy or “wet” and the perfect amount of cooked through without being mushy! Just a side note, the latter will always depend on how evenly you quarter the carrots and the overall thickness of the carrots.
Here’s my secret to the BEST tasting carrots – choose organic. There are so many other reasons to choose organic (over conventionally-farmed) produce but in the case of these guys, the natural sugars are much more distinguishable and pleasing on the palate. You can taste this difference the most when they’re raw of course, but I’m convinced this translates to cooked carrots also.
My motto in the kitchen is dirty up as little as possible while being as efficient as possible. Therefore, for recipes like this one that are pretty simple I do not always measure exact teaspoons each time. Every 3rd or 4th time I cook (NOT bake) for myself I will test my “eyeballing” skills and they’re usually spot on. If you’re not comfortable with eyeballing our your measurements for items such as olive oil and honey yet then no sweat. Simply place your carrots in a large bowl and measure out oil and honey, stirring for an even coat before placing onto nonstick baking surface.
Now, let’s get cooking!
What You Need
Whole, organic carrots
Easy 4-Ingredient Honey-Glazed Carrots
- 1 pound carrots, rinsed and quartered
- 2 TB EVOO
- 1 TB honey
- Pinch sea salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prep carrots by giving them a good rinse, using a vegetable brush if you have one. No peeling necessary! Chop the tops off and quarter into even slices the best you can. Place slices in a pile on your cookie sheet or baking dish.
3. Pour olive oil over top of carrot pile and very carefully mix them together. Use your hands to get carrots evenly coated, which will ensure they glaze up perfectly. Spread carrots in a single layer across cooking surface.
4. Drizzle honey in a sweeping motion across carrots. Use a spoon to stir carrots, if necessary.
5. Place carrots in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes. Check at halftime and stir/flip carrots if it looks like some are roasting at a faster rate than others.
6. Serve warm with your favorite entree. Enjoy.
Ideas for Leftovers: These go surprisingly well with breakfast the next day.